Ready for guests ...

Sunday, March 28, 2010 |


...in a few short days {7 to be exact if you're counting; and I am}.

Our kitchen makeover/redesign has been a self employed project {read husband}



The cabinets have been painted.
 I loved the design of our cabinets but not the color of stain. After several trips to kitchen shops and endless searching, we decided to paint them {again, read husband}. They turned out wonderfully!


We have purchased all new stainless appliances with the exception of the cook top on the island. This will be addressed when our new island and countertops are installed.

One of the last items to be overhauled are the pantries ~ ugh!
Obviously, a man who didn't have a family or cook built my pantry ~ see exhibit A below.
There is at least 6 inches of unused space on each and every shelf in both of my kitchen pantries.


The shelves are also all the same height. Needless to say, the functionality of this space is not optimum. I am forced to store many of my small appliances in our secondary pantry located in the basement. While this does help with my workout regiment {up and down the stairs} it's not very efficient in the time department.




Exhibit A


On Saturday morning my husband announced that he was going to gut on the pantry. With joy and much hesitation, I began to "rearrange" our pantry goods ... all over the house. I just hope I can locate all that has been hidden during this project.


What do you think of my Easter decor?
Does it have the "welcome to our home" look I was working towards? No, I didn't think so.

I have managed to make all our meals this weekend in this MESS. Truth be told, this is my idea of camping ~ it's as close to roughing it as I'm willing to experience.



As long as the coffee maker is with in reach and working, no human should be hurt.

Please note that freshly cut daffodils from the yard help to bring a bit of cheer to the utter chaos.
While trying to keep an open mind and an up beat disposition, I'm envisioning endless seating options with the addition of the doors in our family room. I think that each door will comfortably seat at least 8.

What? You don't have doors on saw horses, in front of your fire place? I think it says "please come in and enjoy the comforts of our home." OR ... maybe not so much! 

Keep your eyes open, I'm quite certain we're going to be featured in the next addition of Traditional Home ~ ha!
{don't mind the circle with the slash through it}

Posted by Picasa

My husband ASSURES me that this will be cleaned up and our pantries will be the envy of all who enter our home by Sunday afternoon.



If for some reason we are not able to entertain in our home, I pinky promise you Momma Henley that I will pick up the entire bill after Easter brunch ;)



Leave A Comment

11 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

LOL you are too funny... If you're footing the bill I'm in and I promise not to choose the $100 bottle of wine!

I am so excited to see the finished product!

Draffin Bears said...

Oh Jo, looked a lot like our house when we did up the bathroom ~ everything was moved into the lounge.
It was chaos for a while but worth it when all finished.
Much luck and I hope that you can have it ready in time for your guests.
You will not know yourself!
Enjoy your pretty daffodils and have a lovely week.

Hugs
Carolyn

Henley on the Horn said...

I love it! I know you all can do it. You have accomplished so much so far! WOW. A pantry! I have never had a walk-in pantry, and let me tell you, Mama Henley needs one!!! I know you wouldn't stick your friends with paying for your champagne and caviar! Ha!

Wanda said...

That was funny....though not so much for you to have to live in all the chaos. I know of chaos too these days. (Truth is your place looks like a palace compared to my mess. And I won't be done for Easter.)

Hope you enjoy all the beauty you envisioned with your make-over.

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

Despite the mess, your house is gorgeous! I love it! I can't wait to see the new pantry as I need to do mine as well (we have wire shelves....arghhh. Who had the bright idea that cans will stand on top of each other and not topple on wire?! - certainly not a cook!)

Kathleen said...

Very funny. Good news is when its all done your going to have a great pantry. Love the daffodils!

JMW said...

I know exactly how you feel. My dining room has been the catch-all throughout our kitchen remodel and painting projects. The best of luck, to you. Can't wait to see the final product!

bevy said...

I'm sure the finished product will be stunning, and Traditional Home will be knocking at your door!

LOVE the comment about Mama Henley footing the brunch bill! How funny... LOL

CRICKET said...

I am with you on the coffee maker , maybe move it to your bedroom! Can;t wait to see it finished.

DustyLu said...

I totally understand! Don't worry it will be perfect again soon. Thank you for stopping by and visiting me. I am now a follower! Good luck with all the giveaways! ~lulu

Holly Lefevre said...

I love they way you describe the chaos...this is getting ready to be us in the next few weeks. I made rice on a BBQ a few years ago when we had our floors installed...I hope I can handle this with a couple of crazy kids.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home