Waterlogged ~ Update

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 |
I am home today because it is not safe for students or staff to travel. In all my years of teaching, I have never had a day off from school due to flooding.


We have rivers that are just beginning to crest,

bridges that have been washed away,

roads that are still deeply covered in water,

cars that have been abandoned,

families that are displaced due to evacuations,

and damage that has yet to be assessed.



A dear friend went to bed last night with a dry home only to wake up to 6 inches of water ~ and it stopped rainingyesterday afternoon! We have another that had to evacuate her home yesterday morning and hasn’t been able to return. Yet another that had rushing water up to her windowsills ~ they've lost half their home.

There just isn't anywhere for this water to go!

I feel for the families that have lost so much ...
their personal belongings, family memories, and keepsakes.
It's heartbreaking!

We have standing water on our property that is feet deep but for now, our basement continues to dry out with no new signs of seeping water returns.

Our main road is closed so I'll be staying put today.



Leave A Comment

9 comments:

Kerri said...

I am in MA and we are experiencing the same thing. We have never had water in our basement until the last month's worth of rain. Although it is going to be bad with rising rivers, no schools in the area have been closed. (I was a teacher until last year when I had my second daughter.)

Jessica Ryan said...

Wow, I was thinking of you as I watched the news this morning, wondering if and how you were affected. Stay dry and stay safe!

A New England Girl said...

Oh my goodness!! We got a significant amount of rain up this way, but nothing that is forcing evacuations or destruction of property or anything serious... I am SO sorry you're all having to go through this. What a horrible experience to deal with. I feel for your friends and am keeping them in my thoughts. Please keep us updated. xoxo.

Seersucker Scrapper said...

I hope things dry out soon. This has just been such a terrible couple of weeks. I can't imaging losing half of your home.

Be safe!

Draffin Bears said...

Oh no Jo, sorry to hear about the flooding there, where you are.
I wished you could send some of the rain over to us.
We still have not had rain and have ordered another tanker load for delivery tomorrow.
Thoughts are with you and I hope that you stay safe and dry.

Hugs
Carolyn

Melissa Miller said...

Jo I am sorry about all of the flooding in your area. That is just terrible news and very scary sounding as well. My heartfelt prayers are with you and everyone for safety and healing.

~Blessings, ~Melissa :)

LuLu said...

I've been watching the news and it all seems so sad, so much water. I'm praying you continue to stay safe,
xo,
LuLu

bevy said...

First, thanks so much for your sweet comments! It IS so hard to be a good parent with all the garbage thrown at our children.

I have been thinking of you off and on throughout the past few days. I hope Obama is declaring your area a disaster! Every time I hear about it on the news, I think, "Oh, I hope Jo and her family/friends are OK!"

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog and becoming a follower! So exciting!
Something not so exciting- all of the flooding in your area! I am so sorry that all of you are going through that. We just never know what is on our doorstep...Hopefully there is something wonderful on your doorstep soon!
Have a happy Easter,
Joyce
P.S. Your name is in the hat. :)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home